the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 09:00:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Army Classification Template

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Army Classification Template  (Read 1416 times)
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:25:06 pm »

Well, being the military nut I am, I figured I'd make this to help out other military nuts or people who just want to *sorta* flesh out their race's military.

INFANTRY: You have three classes of Infantry: Light, Medium, and Heavy.
Light Infantry: Any infantry unit  that's not exactly tough or hard hitting could probably be classified under Light Infantry. Photos Troopers with Recon Armor could probably be considered Light Infantry.

Medium Infantry: They're not the best of the bunch, but they can stand their ground fairly well. I believe the applicable term would be "all-rounder". Your standard Photos Trooper in Powered Armor would be in the upper end of the Medium Infantry category.

Heavy Infantry: Heavy Infantry are your hard hitters, your best infantry, pretty much. Any of the Photos Assault Armor-derived platforms (including Assault Armor itself) would be counted as Heavy Infantry.

VEHICLES: Four classes: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Superheavy.
Light Vehicles: Lightly armed/armored vehicles would fall here. Modern-day military jeeps and humvees would probably give you the right idea.

Medium Vehicles: As the name would imply, your all-rounder medium armed/armored vehicle: Think APC's or, on the higher end, lower-tier IFV's.

Heavy Vehicles: Almost all tanks tanks, most of your Infantry Fighting Vehicles (Think I'm joking? Look at the Bradley, that thing's like a miniature tank!) and the like would fall into the Heavy Vehicle Category.

Superheavy Vehicles: These things are the monsters and the kings of the battlefield, the things that give most infantrymen nightmares. Things like super heavy tanks or Waratica mechs would fall into this category.

That's all for now, if this actually turns out not to be a dud, I'll consider adding more.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:47 pm »

I think we could change this into "Military Classification Template" to make it more rounded. Add some more details while we're at it.

Probably have a classification system for each of the "standard" branches, like Navy, Army, Airforce, Spaceforce, etc.  In most nations, at least one of those would probably be absent, or otherwise placed under a comprehensive branch.

I'll try to think of something.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 05:16:30 am »

Hooray, now we can discuss bigger and better ways to murder imaginary civilians.

Alright, I know I can't resist the spectacle of an exploding planet.

Maybe there should be a thread for famous casualties of war, like a town wiped out by poison gas or a person who sacrificed themself to save many others. Remember: "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow fond of it."

Also, perhaps every powerful species should have a special planet buster superweapon of some sort, like a black hole gun or something. Let's get creative.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:26 am »

RTS-style Superweapons?

Reminds me of that project to make a videogame back then.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Augustus

Morituri te salutant!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:32 am »

I think Planetary WMDs should be limited to big storyarcs I think, cheapens the spectacle you know?
Report Spam   Logged

Memento mori.
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:10 am »

Kinda like the same function nukes serve in human society, huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Augustus

Morituri te salutant!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:07:22 am »

Hit it on the nose.
Report Spam   Logged

Memento mori.
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »

That's what i've been arguing for a while. Anything really....big, should only be used as centerpieces.

Every species should have super weapon? Some races don't have militaries, let alone a planet killer.
And wouldn't each civilizations armies and airforce be constructed differently?
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
Augustus

Morituri te salutant!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »

That's what i've been arguing for a while. Anything really....big, should only be used as centerpieces.

Every species should have super weapon? Some races don't have militaries, let alone a planet killer.

To keep it balanced I think that it SHOULD be possible to wipe a planet out, but you cant just push a button; it has to be manual. Kind of like how we could do stuff like Hiroshima with conventional explosives but it was a lot less efficient.
Report Spam   Logged

Memento mori.
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:06:14 am »

That's a very interesting question.

While there might be a wild variety of different military systems, in the end they all possess a manageable number of different objective qualities.

I was thinking maybe we could use a similar system to what UFO did with planets, as in assign certain tags to certain qualities.

That is, things like attack formations (if any), speed proximity and rate of reinforcement, maximum percentage sustainable losses, number and size of primary/secondary/etc. divisions, space land sea and air combat capability, projection power, supply lines, percentage in overall government budget, etc.

For individual units, there is size, mass, reaction speeds, information processing speeds, weapon yields, firing rates, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 06:52:40 pm »

What if they live in a gas giant? Or an ocean planet? Or an airless asteroid? Or a Venus-like world? You've got to remember that the concept of war will vary wildly as environments do.
Report Spam   Logged
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:46:57 pm »

What if we're once again getting way too nitty gritty about statistics and what makes sense?
Report Spam   Logged

Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:41:21 am »

I presume that since this is a template, it can easily be changed to fit most instances.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 05:35:43 am »

What if they live in a gas giant? Or an ocean planet? Or an airless asteroid? Or a Venus-like world? You've got to remember that the concept of war will vary wildly as environments do.

None of those preclude the characteristics that I just layed out.

Just because a certain military asset is a dedicated gas giant vehicle does not preclude it having size, reaction speeds, weapon yields, cruising speeds, and the like.

That, and gas giants, ocean planets, airless asteroids and Venus-like worlds do not necessarily make that attrition capability, optimum and maximum force projection, and so on suddenly become inapplicable concepts. For that matter, even for things as alien as the Flatlanders, such military concepts are still quite relevant.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:33 am »

I'm not saying they make everything irrelevant, I'm just saying that on a gas giant you'd be hard-pressed to try and make any sort of non-biological weapon from scratch. All tactics would be three-dimensional, stuff like that.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum