the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 09:01:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion

Poll
Question: Shall we restore the status of Plasma Weaponry back to the status quo?
Yes.
No.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion  (Read 2577 times)
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:12 pm »

This thread is for the clear and civil discussion of all conflicts regarding matters of technology, as well as the laws of physics which bind them. Through this, we can have a clear, final and indisputable word for all in-universe technical matters, may it be past, present or future.

Concensus will be achieved through the following process:

1. Members will present their individual views on the matter, stating supporting facts if applicable.
2. Once all side have had their say, a civil debate shall be conducted to test each point of view in relation to others.
3. As this debate is being held, a poll shall be put in place to determine the voice of the people.
4. After a period of three (3) days, the poll shall be closed from further voting. Voting time may be extended if found necessary by at least three (3) members.
5. The results of the poll shall be considered the final arbiter in the discussion at hand.

Once an initial consensus has been formed, a separate Archive thread will be formed and hopefully pinned at the top for quick reference by all members of the creative team. Any further amendments shall be discussed in this Discussion thread, and once an agreement has been established, shall be moved to the Archive thread.

I highly encourage everyone to participate in this exercise, all of which for the benefit, and peace, of both current and future members of this community.

And with that, let us begin with the first matter at hand: Plasma Weaponry.

Guns, blades, grenades, the whole gamut.

Anyone care to present their views on this matter?
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »

Certainly.

The idea that a gun could shoot a blob of plasma as an effective long-range weapon is clearly ludicrous. Plasma quickly dissolves and diffuses whether in oxygen or a vacuum, so this idea would not work for the same reasons as a steam gun. Even if you could somehow invent some sort of magical magnetic field that not only contained the plasma but also maintained the field at long range, it would be rendered an expensive waste of time by the fact that the enemy could easily build deflector shields from the same material.

However, plasma torches are still a reality, so it could work as a short-range weapon. I propose the existence of railguns which fire grenade-like capsules containing an energetic charge of plasma; these explode with great force and fry targets to a crisp. Existing plasma weaponry in past RPs could be very, very, very easily retconned to fit this idea by making "bolt" a slang term for an explosive shell.

Thus, with this explanation we throw out the unscientific ridiculousness but keep the awesomeness. If you miss the sight of flashy glowing energy beams then I can refer you to laser guns and particle beams, which are both plausible, effective, and hella cool. (Is that the right term? Oh, kids these days...)

Plasma blades look cool but are an expensive and unprofitable waste of time, as you could easily build a much more effective sword out of cheaper and more reliable materials. The other uses it has could also be fulfilled far more efficiently by a handful of other tools. Besides, you would not only require that magic containment field but also a way of containing the heat radiated to a very specific location, a feat which I'm not sure is even possible.

Any objections to my well-thought-out argument and preposterously easy and simple method of fixing everything?
Report Spam   Logged
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:49:31 am »

However, it is a well-established plot point in most science fiction stories (hence my earlier star wars comment) that weapons of the future are plasma-based. it boils down to applied phlebotinum. If it looks, cool, sounds cool, and can be explained away, then it goes. That's really what most people are drawn to this whole thing for: the storytelling, not the hard science. If it complies with science, that's awesome. If it doesn't quite, that's fine too. Only when it becomes godmoddish in nature does it truly become a problem.

While something may be "clearly ludicrous" when looked into, it doesn't mean that it is ludicrous in a fictional story setting. When looked into, just about everything in science fiction is ludicrous. Flying cars, faster-than-light, robots as smart as people but the same size, you name it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:51:08 am by GalacticWeirdo » Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:00 am »

Eh I don't have anything to say on this. I dont use any of those things.

So why did I post?
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:04:08 am »

However, it is a well-established plot point in most science fiction stories (hence my earlier star wars comment) that weapons of the future are plasma-based. it boils down to applied phlebotinum. If it looks, cool, sounds cool, and can be explained away, then it goes. That's really what most people are drawn to this whole thing for: the storytelling, not the hard science. If it complies with science, that's awesome. If it doesn't quite, that's fine too. Only when it becomes godmoddish in nature does it truly become a problem.

While something may be "clearly ludicrous" when looked into, it doesn't mean that it is ludicrous in a fictional story setting. When looked into, just about everything in science fiction is ludicrous. Flying cars, faster-than-light, robots as smart as people but the same size, you name it.
What's not cool about explosive plasma grenade guns? Huh

Several prototype flying cars are actually in development, computers are growing smaller exponentially, and... Well, you might count that neutrino thing. I've got a whole thing written up by now on how exactly the physics of the GSU work. Anyone wanna read it?
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 01:07:57 am »

Could I present a compromise in that while plasma is known to be not as good, certain cultures just use them because of their, well, culture.

This is especially apparent in plasma blades, which could easily be seen in the same vein as gold-plated guns or ceremonial swords that also happen to be deadly.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:39 am »

What's not cool about explosive plasma grenade guns? Huh
When did I ever say that? Also, by flying cars I meant to reference Repulsorlifts or Room-Temperature Superconductors, not fans or jet engines.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:31:37 am »

Also, by flying cars I meant to reference Repulsorlifts or Room-Temperature Superconductors, not fans or jet engines.
Well, we do have antigravity. More on that later.

This is especially apparent in plasma blades, which could easily be seen in the same vein as gold-plated guns or ceremonial swords that also happen to be deadly.
I'm gettin' flashbacks to James Bond... Aw yeah.

Also, I think swords might actually be better in a few situations:
1. The species uses biotech for whatever reason and guns are inefficient.
2. The species lives in a thick atmosphere that renders most long-range weapons inefficient.
3. The species is the yerxe, and don't need another reason for swords. Well, guns should go on starships but whatever.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:05:10 pm by UFO King » Report Spam   Logged
SimplyNecro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »

Gentlemen, I return from the wilderness!

And I bring gifts!

For UFO King: A grizzly bear I strangled with a twinky. Grill it good and I swear it tastes godly.

For Yuu: A deer I beat with a club. Tastes like lamb chops when you cook it right.

For GalacticWeirdo *coughKitkatcough*: Several rabbits feet. Thats all I had left after I was through with them.

Now whats going on in this thre-

I'll give my two cents:

First the plasma issue is more "Really? Now we figure this out?" thing to me. Other than that, I'm mostly neutral/too small of an issue to harp about.

Honestly, I prepared a semi-rant about how I didn't want all ground battles to become obsolete, or the badassness of swords suddenly deconstructed and looked at in furiously condensending way, or how I didn't want all space combat reduce to "Guy who sees other guy first wins automatically."

But... I take a closer look at the thread and realize that I'm being paranoid.

In short: I see Kosmosis with a sci-fi hardness of 3-4. With a dose of Star Wars and little bit of 40k physics mixed in

I'll respect everyone here's love of flashy lasers. Just respect my love for dramatic lightsaber duels.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:25:47 pm by SimplyNecro » Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:43 pm »

We shall see about that.  Smiley

Reminder: anyone who hasn't voted yet, there's still more than a day left. Don't tarry, though.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:51 pm »

When it comes to the hardness scale, I'm aiming for a good 4.2.

And Necro? That musta been one big twinkie.[/zeddemore]
Report Spam   Logged
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:56 pm »

Please note that everything that is not 'possible' can be explained by editing known physics in one, small way.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:15 am »

And the poll is closed.

Question 1: Plasma Guns shoot...

... well, plasma.   2 (22.2%)

... shells that contain plasma. Plasma Blades, on the other hand, really are plasma.   2 (22.2%)

... shells that contain plasma. Plasma Blades are misnomers for super-heated blades.   5 (55.6%)

Total Voters: 9

Voting opened: November 12, 2011, 11:39:12 pm

Voting closed: November 15, 2011, 11:39:12 pm

Verdict: Plasma Guns shoot shells that contain plasma. On the other hand, Plasma Blades are misnomers for super-heated blades.

So, anyone else have any pressing concerns?

I, for one, want to discuss a little something regarding bio-tech and its inherent limits, though someone might have other issues that they want to bring forth.
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:10 am »

Wat

I cannot seemeth to unlocketh thy poll.

... eth.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »

Herpeth and derpeth indeed! Forsooth, mine liege, hadst thou been payinge morre attentioneth to thither technicalle settings within thine topicke, perhappse yon polle wouldst not be quite so up-settingeth!

Waiteth! Technicalle...Nicalle...Ni'Calls...
Forsooth! Ah, but soft, wherefore didst thine revelation strike intoeth mine minde? From yonder heavene of inspirationne, nowest itte iseth re-vealeth to thee! Messr. Kitte Katte, methinks yonder cephalopod-lyke creatures and beastes of Calla fairest do not haveth thou moste precisely originalle namingeth! Ay, there's the rub.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum