the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 10:25:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion

Poll
Question: Shall we restore the status of Plasma Weaponry back to the status quo?
Yes.
No.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion  (Read 2569 times)
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »

Itte appeareth that thine poll shalt for noweth be rendereth impotenteth.

I beseech thee, people of Kosmosis.

Lette useth continueth witheth the discussioneth, employeth manualeth votingeth if itte ist necessary... eth.

Itte hast commeth to thy attention that Raz spoketh of a great struggleth betweeneth two opposingeth factione... eth.

"Capitalization versus lowercase is something that's been considered for a while I believe... I'm not sure. There are arguments for both ways." - Raz

So, what sayeth, people of Kosmosis? Shalt I ammendeth the thread premise to allow the matter to be discusseth hereth, or creatheth a separate thread for Roleplaying Rules and Guidelines?

-eth.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

Itte shall be-eth of the lower cases, as ist the caseth of mankind we are merely human, not Human. However, I bringeth about the idea that if the word is used to nameth a civilization, it should be of the upper cases, as it is with the nameth of civilizations upon our great flat earth.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:11 pm »

I see... eth.

Art the any other thoughts on this mattereth?
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
SimplyNecro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

I do not mindeth myself.

I am quite partial to thy-

**** IT!

ENOUGH WITH THE YE OLE ENGLISH!

Anyway, I don't really care, I think I'll start lowercasing myself, but lets not be ****s about this little thing though.

[EDIT]: Wait... I can't say Nazi? Really? Wow... Heavilly censored board is heavilly censored
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:12:00 pm by SimplyNecro » Report Spam   Logged
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:59 pm »

Lower case species, upper case Civilizations.
Report Spam   Logged
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »

Forsooth, I mayest be wonderingst if thine curse wordes mayeth be censorede:
Ass, ****, ****, ****, balls, hell, damn, ****-eth!
Goode dayeth! Thenst I mayeth not speaketh of alternative terminologies for yon roostere!

Anyhoo, I agree with everyone else. For example: This human is a Croatian. This perrachi is an Avik. This turian is a Diluvian. This thranx is of clan Ven.
Report Spam   Logged
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »

I guess that's settled.
Report Spam   Logged

Bard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 12:16:05 am »

the etymology of Iavolg is complex enough that i'm not sure what catagory it would fall under. but iavolg doesnt look right, so capitalized it is. only thing I ever capitalize.

so I suggest we should take care of the speed of light limit issue right now, cause that's pretty basic thing to get established in a science fiction universe. way I see it, we have a few options:

-the limit doesn't exist. passing the speed of light is a nonevent.
-the limit exists, but is much higher than in our physics.
-the limit is normal, but special technology can be used to pass it.

the second and third could be combined. thoughts, and any other concepts?

I would go with the simplest solution
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:56 am »

No, I've already written a lengthy essay-type thing on how exactly the physics of this universe differ from our own, allowing for "FTL" travel. It invocates the trope Minovsky Particles and works similar in function to mass effect fields and element zero in that it conveniently explains a lot of things (though not quite to the degree in Mass Effect).

So...should I post it anytime soon? Do you all want me to?
Report Spam   Logged
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 02:49:48 am »

Post it.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:51 am »

why though?

your going from the perspective of finding away around the rules we have in reality. that you need a way to circumnavigate the laws to make this world work.
It would make much more sense to just not have them in the first place.

I'm not going to go with your way just because it's fancier and took more thought. taking away a couple rules of physics is easier and less cumbersome than adding new ones to amend the old ones.

In this universe, matter can go faster than light.
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 11:12:20 am »

Let's put this on a vote, then, which is exactly why this thread was made in the first place...

Who is in favor of the "lengthy essay-type thing" say Aye.

Those not in favor say Nay.
Report Spam   Logged

GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »

I fixed the poll, by-the-way.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »

I say Aye, because it's well-thought-out and I worked really hard on it.

And I've had enough with Bard's nonchalant poetic laziness. Take away laws of physics? Which ones? If you just vaguely handwave it away like that, individuals will fill in the blanks on their own! Then that leads to uncooperativeness and eventual godmodding because nobody knows how the hell anything works! I say we establish firm rules on which races have which "FTL" drives and exactly how fast they go. We must hang together, else we shall surely hang separately. United we stand, yadda yadda.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »

nay

quite the contrary, UFO. I want to remove the rule so that the rule won't be broken or twisted. the reason the law should be removed is not for freedom, but for order.

first, the only law we are talking about removing is the one that makes it so nothing can go faster than the speed of light...so we can go faster than the speed of light

the usualy way is to tack on some new law, device, or substance that the law doesnt apply to, which more or less presents it as something special and stretching the rules somehow.
I hate this because I prefer an ordered, firm set of physics with no leeway at all. something that has abnormal properties and does not follow them to a T is messy. your "exoparticle" is an aberration, something that does not follow the same rules as everything else. even though you have justification for why it does this, it still does. the cosmic laws should not make an exception. its goes against the whole meaning of cosmic law.

so in the workings of this universe, there is no cosmic speed limit in the first place, so there is no special exeption to physics. It feels better for FTL travel it to be something normal.

EDIT: clarification- we can still have limits to speed, of course. just technological ones. so "hyperdrives", instead of letting you crap in the face of general relativity, dramaticaly increase acceleration and speed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:30:43 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum