the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 03:38:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion

Poll
Question: Shall we restore the status of Plasma Weaponry back to the status quo?
Yes.
No.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Consensus on Physical and Technological Matters: Discussion  (Read 2572 times)
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

By your logic, all we need to go FTL is enough fuel. Think of how this would change the fundamental nature of the universe! What would happen to galaxies and black holes and everything? At least I keep exoparticles separate from the actual universe! And you accuse me of violating relativity?! Hello, actual strict by-the-book definition FTL does not exist in the normal universe! You either take shortcuts through hyperspace (which is a different universe with very different physical laws) or bend space with a warp drive! Removing laws does not create more order, it only makes things messier. Then you blather about hating the violation of cosmic law, but immediately switch to advocating the same thing.

Stop acting so hypocritical already. You would prefer a bit a vague ridiculousness that has no foreseen consequences over an interesting explanation that follows its own rules. I admit to having my new laws and particles be completely speculatory, and I try my hardest to think out all the consequences of such an implication. It's like...what if cars could fly to go faster? But you'd rather the speed limit just be removed, as if that would make things more orderly. And having no speed of light limit IS a special exception to physics.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »

It wouldn't violate cosmic law because that law wouldn't exist.
it wouldnt be an exeption to the laws of physics because that law of physics does not exist.

when I siad I dont want anything that bends the laws of physics. I meant in-universe. of course it breaks our laws of physics, which is why we wouldnt have the same one there. It's the Kosmosis universal laws I dont want bent.

you can't establish it as a universal law that things cant go faster than the speed of light and then have things go faster then the speed of light. its not right. (which is why you dont establish it as a universal law that things can't go faster than the speed of light, so things can go faster than the speed of light. )

By your logic, all we need to go FTL is enough fuel.
all you need to go FTL is enough fuel.

finaly, I dont see how it's vague. matter is not limited to traveling under the speed of light. there is nothing else that would be changed, atoms nor stars. everything still functions the same with no oddities.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:02:51 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 08:17:59 pm »

Dammit...Have you been paying attention to me for the last 2 years? FTL never literally occurs! Either you take a shortcut or bend space, end of story!
Report Spam   Logged
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 08:20:44 pm »

I actually like the openness of inventing new methods of travel, new materials, etc. It makes things more interesting. Of course, not anything that flies in the face of the laws of physics, like things that can go faster than light in a completely literal sense, not applying to E=MC2, etc...
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

Simply put Crazen, there isn't fuel enough to surpass the speed of light, due to relativity, E=mc2, etc. FTL is simulated through other methods. If every civilization was achieving FTL through the use of fuel(such as rockets, thrusters, etc), then wars would be pointless because they'd have the energy to annihilate everything instantly. Removing the light speed limit results in a **** ton of trouble, because that means relativity isn't true, which puts into doubt whether or not E in fact equals mc2.

And I think writing a paper is pointless. We've done well enough with various methods.
Report Spam   Logged

Bard

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »

ok, you make a good point. I didnt look at it that way. I wasn't considering the actual reasons FTL is impossible, just that fact that it is.

aye then  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »

Oh, okay then. I get it now, thanks.

Raz, I'm just trying to explain it all...
Report Spam   Logged
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:01 pm »

Stop trying to ground everything in science. There's a healthy amount of reasoning that goes into something, beyond that, it's taking it too far. We've had multiple ways for a while, wormholes, hyperspace, whatever.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »

Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Oviraptor
Ovipositor
Global Moderator

tastes just like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 12:22:27 am »

I think "bending space" is a sufficient enough an explanation for FTL travel. One doesn't need to explain how these things work, just that that's what happens. The only exception is if you had a method that isn't intuitive (the oifan-umtag RIT generators, for instance).
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:47 am »

No, no, no! How many times do I have to say this? Hyperdrives create wormholes that tunnel through hyperspace, and warp drives bend space! I've been repeating myself for years now and I don't think it seems to have had any effect whatsoever! Now I try to rationalize and canonize everything and you all immediately reject it - again! Do you have any idea how frustrating this is? Years of repetition! It's like talking to a brick wall! If you don't have an explanation, people will make up their own and those will collide with each other, eventually leading to godmodding and severe dissonance between traveling speeds! We need some canon, dammit! I thought that was the purpose of this thread!
Report Spam   Logged
Oviraptor
Ovipositor
Global Moderator

tastes just like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 02:17:12 am »

A wormhole is a form of space bending. Obviously one should specify which one is using. Wormholes and their ilk can essentially be instantaneous, and warp drives would would require a finite amount of time. That should plenty detailed enough an explanation. Only exotic form of FTL need to be described more (for instance, the oifan-umtag bubble drive). We should only describe the effects our FTL have, not he science behind how they work.

Also, I dislike the word "hyperdrive." It's been used so many times to mean so many different things.

PS: I typed this on my phone, so try to ignore any weird errors. <.< >.>
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 02:48:15 am »

You expect me to just throw away all that hard work I spent making everything plausible? I was going to tie it in with artificial gravity, you know...How else do you suggest I go about that, hmm? Do a complete rewrite? Make an entirely different explanation for artificial gravity rather than the polished final form I've been working on for months? I specifically designed for it all to neatly fit together. Do you really want characters floating around monitoring cumbersome heat radiators, or would you rather I did all the hard work?
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:53:47 am »

I think what Ovi's trying to say is that there can be other forms of FTL, though exoparticle-based tech is a good "vanilla" method. Probably assumed to be standard for people who don't want to make their own methods.

Well, at least that's what I think he's saying.

any case, what exactly were we talking about again?  :S

I'd like some clear cut statements on the matter, preferably in bold, so that I could stick those up in the poll, seeing as GW just fixed it, awesome guy that he is.   Wink

I fixed the poll, by-the-way.

Thank you so much.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:29 am »

Everything doesn't need to be plausible. To try to make it so is pointless. It changes nothing about the RP. The story is central to our concern. Not all this super setting up junk. This place will die without real activity, if it hasn't already.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum