the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 01:55:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Photos Empire

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos Empire  (Read 1261 times)
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:22:21 pm »

The Photos Empire

Technology; OVERVIEW: Most of Photos technology, about 85% of it in fact, is based on Plasma, with recent discoveries leading to the use of powerful Antimatter weaponry on their spacecraft. The Photos Empire as a whole has a rather large Research and Development section, and almost all their technology is either being improved or altogether reinvented, usually resulting in more efficient and powerful functioning. The Photos Empire's major technological strengths lie in AI development, weapons development, and several other material manufacturing bases.

Technology; MILITARY: Of all the tech areas, the majority of Photos research goes into military technology in some form or another. One of the biggest, yet least acknowledged developments the Photos has is their most basic infantry Power Armour; this standard-issue mass-produced asset is one of the biggest factors that give Photos infantry a major edge in combat; they're rather difficult to injure, let alone kill. Some of the largest mobile land-based constructs the Photos have are the walkers of the Xylanis Waratica; this branch of the military oversees the usage and deployment of large walking mechs that are by far some of the most devastating units on any battlefield, and inevitably are the center of combat. Armed to the teeth and equally armored, even a light walker supporting two or three squads of infantry is a force to be reckoned with. Tanks, aircraft, and other combat vehicles fill in the rest of the military roster.

Technology; MEDICAL: Photos medical technology is, for the most part, geared towards quick healing. One of the most common medical items is Medi-gel, a gelatinous compound that triggers cellular repair and almost 70 times the normal rate; a broken bone that would usually take 3 weeks to heal would be completely healed in about two days with a precise injection into the area around the break. New serums and other medicines are in the works all the time.

Empire; SIZE: The Photos Empire is a vast empire, having developed in a relatively isolated sector of space; however, expansion was later in time as the Photos were pushed into space by an invasion by a race named the Zeront, now under new leadership and allies with the Photos. After their victory, the Photos did an almost mobbed-style expansion, increasing in size quite rapidly. Expansion has always been slowing after that point, but the Photos Empire has almost tripled in size sense then. This large number of planets from which to draw troops and resources from is what makes the Photos armed forces what they are today.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

Alright, cool! How about civilian life? Or...are they like the turians, where everyone's a soldier?
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »

No, military service is not required of people, and there are a few factors that can exclude people from service (physical/mental handicap and Para Minari implantation being the largest two). The reason for the large number of military service applicants is the high pay accompanied by the (relatively speaking) low risk to life and limb. Your average Photos, after 30 or so years of steady service, can retire to a cushy life in a big house and see to it his family never has to worry about money again. In fact, Lakis Duavon, who was in the military for around 50 years (let's just say he's retired now, keep things simple) is arguably one of the richest people in the entirety of the Photos Empire!
There's also a social position bit too: Photos who join the armed forces have a certain respect about them, at least from fellow Photos, for putting their nation before themselves. All in all, the military is a fairly attractive proposition for most Photos, despite the fact that some of the other, more dedicated services (If you join the Xylanis Opairis, you're pretty much guaranteed to spend the majority of your life fighting.) that break this exception; each Xylanis requires a certain type of person to truly fit in their service. Opairis members tend to be strong believers in Photos policies and have a certain finesse in combat, meaning they're usually drawn from fitting recruits for the standard army. Xylanis Waratica members, on the other hand, tend to be level-headed and withdrawn, considering they're specifically designed to counter the heaviest armor the enemy can toss at them.
Addendum:
Para Minari: If you don't remember or never got the chance to read, policy dictates that Photos that carry a Para Minari inside them be kept from any positions of power, including the armed forces as a whole, just as a precautionary measure.
Xylanis: If you missed the meaning in the Photos thread, this means around the English equivalent of "organisation" or "division".
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

As there's a level of uncertainty about it, allow me to give more information on this subject:
When the Photos destroy a planet that has fallen to the Garan Separatists, it is because falling to the movement is in many cases a fate worse than death. The majority of the Separatists are ruthless thugs who don't tend to treat their prisoners very well. Apart from the fact that they kill most of the population, torture most of the prisoners, and then implant the rest with control devices and release them back to act as double agents, they end up scouring most of the planet clean of the original inhabitants anyway. Ironically, Garan would be incredibly disappointed in this, as he held his battles on the political front, not the battlefront.
Report Spam   Logged
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:29 am »

1. That strategy sounds very stupid, as if they're painting a bright target on themselves that says "fear, hate and destroy me". But don't all terrorist groups do that? Except this is on a planetary scale, so it sounds kind of silly.
2. I thought the ability to destroy a planet was reserved for very, very advanced races and special occasions, not something you'd do on a military exercise. Then again, the photos military dictatorship hoards all of the numerous phitire artifacts it can find, so go figure.

Don't substitute "planet" for "town". Keep scale in mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:29:59 am »

I dunno if this was what Grox meant, but destroy could also mean "glass the entire surface beyond recognition".
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:59 pm »

PLASMA LANCES:
Plasma Lances are a high-power weapon used by the Photos as an anti-armour weapon. They are typically mounted on tanks or on Waratica war machines. They fire a high intensity lance beam of plasma at the target, punching through armor and dealing respectable damage to the equipment behind. On tanks, they are commonly used as a main gun, their power requirement meaning they can only be used as a single gun or, in the case of larger tanks, in a pair. Superheavy tanks typically don't mount lances, favoring either Plasma Projectors or in the case of a few rare tanks, such as the Thanatos, autocannons. Plasma Lances are not man portable.

Now, responses.
1. That's kinda the movement's point. The scale of the movement is rather large, though most are kept in through fear rather than willingness. Overall, they're just a nasty bunch of folks.
2. The Photos do not have a military dictatorship: the High Council that governs their empire is elected: I've gone over it before, but it's been forgotten, so I'll go over it again.
The High Council is an elected board of five Photos; four of them make up the regular members while the fifth is the leader of the bunch. The five of them function as a set of checks and balances, as there has never been five Council members that all run the same political views, and this is done intentionally as a further set of checks and balances. This ensures there are five different views of the issue, and the best idea will be selected. Of course, you get a few hotshots who will push their idea, and they are usually ousted by the rest of the Council. The High Council overlooks all of the aspects of the Empire, be it the military, economic issues, or the latest news on expansions.

When it comes to destroying planets, the Photos use a fairly effective approach: the start is to bombard a small area of surface with their plasma weapons, breaking through the crust to the mantle. They then switch to their antimatter weapons and fire on the mantle and through the core. This does a fairly good job at wrecking the planet, though it's a slow process in order to make sure it's through.
Report Spam   Logged
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »

Sounds expensive. I'll bet they never would have gotten this far were it not for the phitire and their convenient antimatter plants lying around everywhere.

I'm still getting this rejection instinct when I read about your plasma weapons. Maybe I should just curl up and repeat "particle beams" to myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:27:02 am »

Considering your sig?

Yeah.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:14:59 am »

So I have noticed the Photos have sorta become the galactic standard sentient species. Makes sense. Medium size, higher tech, widespread, not ultra-violent, expansive and quick, and most importantly of all, not enigmatic dicheads.
wonder what that feels like.

Also, at UFO:

Man, I have the complete opposite approach. Though I think what I do is technicaly low fantasy. Not sure if that still applies.
Strangely enough, that also makes me the least likely to rub you the wrong way, UFO. I don't bother with nancy boy technologific silly stuff.

Like, I have literaly thought to myself, on many occasions while writing, "If I remove all the fancy bits, is it still a good story?" If its not, I have some work to do. Miles more of world building left to make. It's supposed to be a real story, with real places, people, and plotlines. The fantasy, for me, is not for showcasing my work, but for beauty.

So, come to think of it, the number one question you should asks of yourself of your creations is, "Do you love them?"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:17:30 am by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 09:03:48 pm »

I actually immagine the Photos as humans in my head. Just purple. Like Star Trek Style. That adds the aspect of Humans into the universe without strictly saying it.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:56:27 pm »

Pretty much.
Report Spam   Logged

GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »

While this may be a military update, don't you worry; I'll have that "Life of a Photos citizen" thing tomorrow after school; this is just to sate my urge for destruction after an incredibly frustrating day >:\
Not that I'm ****ed or anything now, it'll still make me feel better Wink

MASS-REACTIVE RIFLE:
A recent development, the Mass-Reactive weapon, or MRR for short, is a medium-range rifle that packs a whollop at the cost of a slow rate of fire and possessing both a high weight and a high recoil (even Photos in powered armor have a hard time firing the things without a shoulder stock; trying to fire one unarmored would probably either break your shoulder, rip your arms off, or both; the recoil is enough to send the rifle almost equal to an armored person's head).
They provide Photos infantry with a decent anti tank/swarm weapon without having to lug around something big and heavy like a rocket launcher or Heavy Plasma Repeater.
And oh my, what is this? An image? HAND DRAWN, no less?

PLASMA GRENADES: The ubiquitous Plasma Grenade; it's still pretty much the same design that's been used sense the Great War, modified with newer explosives for a higher yield, of course. It's quite simple; Press big red button on top, chuck at enemy. For the more clever, there are different settings; four, to be exact. The first and standard is Delay, or DLY on the Grenade itself. You also have Timer, which goes for nine seconds as apposed to the regular four, and Proximity, essentially turning the grenade into a makeshift land mine. The fourth, Contact, is only used when the grenade is loaded into a Grenade Launcher; with the rocket fixed onto the back by the 'Launcher, it becomes an RPG by definition; It's a grenade that's rocket powered and explodes on contact. These things have many unorthodox uses, some that have been added to the "rulebook". How do you take out a tank when you have no anti-tank weapons? Easy, roll a grenade down the barrel of the main gun! Of course, you have the fun of climbing up on the tank and not getting the grenade (and your hand!) blown off when the main gun fires. Oh, and the barrel being too small for the grenade to fit. There's that too.
But still, it works ever-so-slightly more often than it doesn't. Because I say so. So I win.
That is said in jest. Waka Waka, please don't hurt me...

Ok, don't know what happened with the grenade; I rotated it properly in Photobucket, but for some reason it's still on it's side, and has become stretched for some reason. It was supposed to be round (granted, if there's one geometric shape I can't draw it's a frickin circle, but that's beside the point).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:02:52 pm by GroxGlitch » Report Spam   Logged
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:57 pm »

If you have any image manipulation program, paint included, you can crop the images to remove all the useless white space.
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »

I'm aware of that.
I like all the extra white space. It helps drive home that it's scanned. Not for you, so much, but for me; having been scannerless for almost a year, I like the liberty of "Oh, this looks cool, I can come up with something for it and ACTUALLY FREAKING MAKE AN UPDATE ABOUT IT Angry"
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum