the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 19, 2024, 05:20:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Nexus Hub of Hrok'Dok Studies

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nexus Hub of Hrok'Dok Studies  (Read 1287 times)
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »

This is truely awesome!
Speaking of the Infection, this is sorta like how I wanted the Infection to be. Of course, if you've read about it, I failed miserably.
Still, this is aweeeesome.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 05:35:49 am »

Also, I wonder what would happen if th Blood meets the Infection. It'll be pretty interesting, that's for sure.
Or, you know, the other self replicating semi-mechanical blood-themed mind gestalt* around here.  Tongue
We'll see which comes out on top in the end.

So, who else among our kinds would be 'worthy' of enhancing, I have to ask

How does the take-over work? Does it implant in your mind or what? What does it do to your body and how does it change it? What biologies could it or couldn't ot infect?** So the blood is sort of the spawn of the Hrok "masters", or am I missing something?

*(Two minds? try twenty billion!)

**(Just thinking cause I don't think either of my main races would be quite compatable)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:37:58 am by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:40 pm »

Worth isn't based on anything in particular.

The Blood is actually ancient nanomachines that may or may not have been created by the hrok'dok, with the purpose of keeping them alive indefinitely and furthering the aims of the Hrok'Dok. The nanomachines spread throughout the body, moving quickly to the nervous system, where they figure out how the brain and mind work and began causing dreams and hallucinations to convert the creature to their cause. If they resist, the Blood swallows them immediately by removing their personality and replacing it with itself. Effectively, all kracs are actually the Blood pretending to be someone else, or playing mind games with a certain investigator.

Once in control, the Blood reworks the genetic code and causes growths and disappearances of some organs, usually the ones dedicated to maintaining the immune system, because the Blood functions as the perfect immune system. The usual growths involve some method of quick injection, i.e. fangs, strengthening of muscles, appearance of natural weapons, etc. Occasionally, the Blood decides to so radically alter an organism, that it becomes impossible to identify was it was before it became a krac.

As for what can be infected, anything biological goes. Natural immune systems are totally ineffective against it, either because they can't recognize it as even being there, or because the Blood simply defeats whatever gets in its way of bodily domination. If a white blood cell were to attempt to stop the Blood, it would simply tear through the cell and continue on its way. Lacking blood slows the process, but it's inevitable. The only thing the Blood doesn't attack that is biological are simple lifeforms lower than animals that lack control systems; i.e. plants, fungi, and bacteria.

And I'm pretty the Blood would win against any other nanobots, simply because it's highly intelligent, extremely adaptable(self-modifying) and coordinated in its offensives, and has a history of defeating other civilization's nano-defenses, which became widespread in the other galaxy in an attempt to prevent the spread of the Blood.
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 06:53:45 pm »

The only thing the Blood doesn't attack that is biological are simple lifeforms lower than animals that lack control systems; i.e. plants, fungi, and bacteria.

Just wanna point out that plants do have control systems.

They're just very, very, very, very depressingly slow.

So, planimals probably count as viable hosts as well.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »

I realize that, but they won't hit plants that are specifically plants, like flowers and such.
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »

I realize that, but they won't hit plants that are specifically plants, like flowers and such.

I see.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:06 am »

I should point out that perrachi have two plant species and one fungus species as client races, all capable of quick thought/movement. On a plant-animal reversed world where the only animals were like coral or barnacles, don't you think the dominant plants would find a sentient animal hard to believe?

Oh, and I think that there could exist a sapient bacteria colony that functions as a hive mind. Just saying. I mean, if we have silicon-based biology it doesn't seem too far-fetched by comparison.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 06:13:04 am »

Raz actually did one like that back in the old Kosmosis.

Can't remember the name, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Raz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:56 pm »

Ok well if it's biological and sapient then...
Report Spam   Logged

GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:58 pm »

So the Blood isn't even slowed by natural immune systems, and other nanosystems barely serve to slow them, from what I can gather. What about organic things like mutagenic substances? How well would the Blood manage to counter them? I'd think an active mutagen would note the Blood's entrance and quickly manage to work up something, for lack of a better word, "super" enough to stop it, even to the extend of sending it's host comatose to do so.
Report Spam   Logged
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 01:36:48 am »

Not feeling it anymore... Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 05:55:36 am »

Whuh?
Report Spam   Logged
Raz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 01:56:06 am »

Much of my interest/motivation/mojo has disappeared from RP. Trying on another site, but things are a bit chaotic in my life.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 05:04:54 pm »

This documentary idea seems promising. I'm sure you'd be great with that! Government coverups of mysterious abandoned laboratories, all that crazy modern horror game stuff! Trust me, with creativity it's either a vicious cycle or positive cycle with emotion. If you're depressed you don't feel motivation which makes you more depressed, etc. So if you don't fix things the pit just grows deeper. Dang, now I feel like a corny self-help book - which are ironic, because it's supposed to be self-help, not book-help! Where was I?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum