the Kosmosis Chronicles
April 20, 2024, 02:38:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Languages

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 924 times)
UFO King

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:42 am »

I'm a professional (i.e. amateur) conlanger, so naturally my stuff has a lot more linguistic thought put into it. Of course, Paranchi (the perrachi language) was made long before I got into conlangery so all I did was polish it up. If I was able to redo it I would have made sure there weren't very many human sounds, as perrachi are aliens. Alien mouth does not equal human mouth, ergo different phonemes.

Personally, I've heard of Native American and Sino-Tibetan languages way more alien then what you've managed. Try looking up resources like the Language Construction Kit and such; they really help. And of course reading up on RL languages, actually learning at least one will be very helpful.

If it's alien be sure to make it very alien: I read about a conlang with no verbs. There should be nonhuman sounds, and word definitions should be significantly different. Make sure you in real life would be incapable or at least hard-pressed to pronounce it!

Back to me, I'm currently working on a fantasy conlang entirely unrelated to anything Kosmosis. Maybe I'll challenge myself with languages for ishpali and yerxe, or even somehow make a conlang for a race that doesn't even communicate verbally! Imagine trying to transcribe plant pheromones.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum