the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 28, 2024, 06:42:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Languages

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Languages  (Read 910 times)
Withp Returnae

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:12 am »

So, how do you design your languages? Do you make up random words for stuff, or is it a more specialized process?
Currently my language is based on derivation. That is, you have a few base words and lots of more complex words made up of those words.
eg: My earlier example of Turoovinfa (Brundus for demon) is formed of Turo which means being/entity, o which means life, vin, evil and fa, sacred (though the meaning of that, as is the meaning of life, very abstract. In the case of this word, it means more as magic or supernatural.)
I have currently 76 words in my vocabulary, but that's obviously growing by the day.

What's yours like?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:42 am »

I'm a professional (i.e. amateur) conlanger, so naturally my stuff has a lot more linguistic thought put into it. Of course, Paranchi (the perrachi language) was made long before I got into conlangery so all I did was polish it up. If I was able to redo it I would have made sure there weren't very many human sounds, as perrachi are aliens. Alien mouth does not equal human mouth, ergo different phonemes.

Personally, I've heard of Native American and Sino-Tibetan languages way more alien then what you've managed. Try looking up resources like the Language Construction Kit and such; they really help. And of course reading up on RL languages, actually learning at least one will be very helpful.

If it's alien be sure to make it very alien: I read about a conlang with no verbs. There should be nonhuman sounds, and word definitions should be significantly different. Make sure you in real life would be incapable or at least hard-pressed to pronounce it!

Back to me, I'm currently working on a fantasy conlang entirely unrelated to anything Kosmosis. Maybe I'll challenge myself with languages for ishpali and yerxe, or even somehow make a conlang for a race that doesn't even communicate verbally! Imagine trying to transcribe plant pheromones.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:35 am »

I've always been kinda wondering, and this recent talk with the O ka kinda sparked my interest again...

How do you propose we present sound frequency-based language systems, without making it too hard or convoluted to a reader?

I want to present some of my languages into a more "raw" format, per se, but now I'm kinda at a loss as to how to convert it without making it look like a string of 0s and 1s.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »

You could have bars that are different depending on frequency?

_ _ _ _
_ _    _
_
_ _ _ _

Or something like that. Like a piano roll.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:56:06 am »

Hmm...

That gives me an idea.

What if I compress it using numbers, like "5-" or "12=" ?

On a related note, this also helped me regarding a different language.

Thanks a bunch!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Withp Returnae

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »

you know there a reason i made this thread. i know the topics you are discussing are interesting and useful but could you please post them here instead of cluttering up my topics?
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »

Sorry if it seemed like it. This is actually why I posted this here instead of there.
Report Spam   Logged

Bard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:30 am »

hmm. several things to cover.

first is structure. The graid's classic Language, ashadic and it's dialects, is made almost entirely of single sylable words strung together without pause, with the subject usualy at the start. A full phrase  in english can be a single word in Ashadic.

"I don’t have a home

Alakemshir

Al; self
ak; live
Em; place
Shir; lacking

As for the actual vocalization the graid have an extremely wide range, being a hearing intensive race (having no smell, taste, limited touch, and no depth perseption), so they can 'commonize' their words and speaking voice to better match the listener. In a natural state, dealing with their own kind their voices are much more... gutteral. Which is no surpise, considering they are a very animalistic race, not born into sapience.

commonized, Their name can be said like 'grade' rolling the R. closer to the origional would be a slow growl, almost a croak from the very back of your throat, starting low and moving up to the tip of the toungue, going higher. but it would be a stretch to speak it like they do, and you must also sing while speaking ashadic.

EDIT: also, a language of bars or number is a terrible, boring idea.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:53:46 am by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:51:19 am »

EDIT: also, a language of bars or number is a terrible, boring idea.

Kudos to those who know what it is.

It being a cornucopia of bars and numbers has more to do with the fact that these languages are being transliterated from their native language into a language that doesn't have proper keyboard characters to represent them.

Honestly, I for the life of me can't fathom an alternate way to represent the sound of a bell or a chainsaw in human language without resorting to onomatopoeia, which would be silly. At least this has an air of sohpistication, even if it's somewhat pretentious.

Tips to overcome this would be well appreciated.
Report Spam   Logged

GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:53:29 pm »

It's the Turkish March, is't it?

Anyway, I seemed to have really been having a sort of crisis of faith with my Binos. I just felt like they were run into the ground... But I do have ideas for them and a more coherent language. For example, I've decided upon a bottom-to-top left-to-right form of writing, with a different character system (not just the English Alphabet repackaged >_<)

I came up with 22 distinct letters, 23 counting a permutation of the "duh" sound.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:00:19 am »

That would be fun to see if it's cleared up a bit.
Report Spam   Logged

GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Here's the painted-up version:

Note: Normally in a word, the letters would be connected by a line, the dotted line is there to show where it would be.

here's a word constructed in the language to give an idea of how words are build. As you can see, they are all merged together and the circles show where to find each letter.
EDIT: It's backwards >_< I meant for it to read bottom-to-top.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:45:23 pm by GalacticWeirdo » Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:22 pm »

Aww yeah!   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Withp Returnae

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:33 am »

Awesome.
Report Spam   Logged
Oviraptor
Ovipositor
Global Moderator

tastes just like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:30:49 am »

Been a while since I've been on this site, but here is mine:

Alphabet: [http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7707.msg810183#msg810183]

Link to article on the language and a random possible word generator: [http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7707.msg811461#msg811461]

As to how I developed it, I started with how they produce sounds and then made an alphabet based off of sounds they could produce, then I built off that. Words are written top to bottom (I haven't decided on left>right or right>left). I don't really have any words (besides things like "vvukkrauur," or "Aunggwa") or grammar, but I do have rules for forming words (see the article).

Edit: I guess the link to the article no longer works, use this one instead: [http://ladympire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creature:Vvukkrauur/Language]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:39:50 am by Oviraptor » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum