the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 29, 2024, 02:06:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Planet Classification System

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Planet Classification System  (Read 674 times)
UFO King

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

The Planet Classification System
Note: Certain classes can overlap with each other. If more than one applies to your planet, write them all down.

Class A: Rocky body not massive enough to form itself into a spherical shape. [Asteroids]
Class A-Minor: Spherical body that is nonetheless surrounded in a belt of other rocky objects and thus a dwarf planet. [Ceres]

Class B: Icy body not massive enough to form itself into a spherical shape. [Kuiper Belt Objects]
Class B-Minor: Spherical body that is nonetheless surrounded in a belt of other icy objects and thus a dwarf planet. [Pluto]

Class C: Comet. [Halley's Comet]

Class D: "Carbon" or "diamond" planet, rocky and rich in carbon. Unremarkable in any other major characteristics. [Antor IV]

Class E: Metallic planet, also known as a silicate planet or telluric world. Terrestrial and rocky, these are composed chiefly of metals and silicates and are often rich in oxygen. Unremarkable in any other major characteristics. [Gliese 581 e]

Class F: Volcanic planet. May be due to natural geological activity or gravitational stress. [Io]

Class G: Brown dwarf. Intermediate body between planet and star, sometimes known as a failed star. They appear similar to large gas giants and come in four varieties, from hottest to coldest: Spectral classes M (red), L (reddish-brown), T (dark magenta), and Y (dark purple). Normal stars do not progress any further than class M. Brown dwarfs possess an extremely wide temperature range, have a very convective interior, and are distinguished from true planets by always being capable of deuterium nuclear fusion and other characteristics such as X-ray emission sometimes. Stars are different in that a brown dwarf continually cools, often exhausting its supply of fusion fuel relatively quickly. The minimum mass of one is around 13 Jupiters.

Class I: Composed of an iron-rich core with little to no mantle. Denser and smaller than other terrestrial planets on average. [Mercury]

Class J: Gas giant. From coldest to hottest, the subclasses are:
Class J-1: Ammonia clouds. [Jupiter]
Class J-2: Water vapor clouds. [47 Ursae Majoris b]
Class J-3: No clouds, methane. [Neptune]
Class J-4: Alkali metals. [Osiris]
Class J-5: Silicate clouds. [Bellerophon]

Class K: Chthonian planet. Formerly a gas giant, now only its core remains. Could be due to massive impact(s) from other orbiting bodies or hydrodynamic escape. [Kepler-10b]

Class L: Capable of supporting life. Subclasses often overlap with other classes.
Class L-Genesis: Supports/can support some sort of life, but only in primitive microbial forms. [Mars]
Class L-Common: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with an oxygen atmosphere and water as a solvent. Generally within average temperatures. [Earth]
Class L-Swamp: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with a methane atmosphere and water as a solvent. Generally within average temperatures. [Grevek]
Class L-Petro: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with an ammonia atmosphere and hydrocarbons as a solvent. Generally within average temperatures. [I Don't Know]
Class L-Barren: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with a nitrogen-hydrogen atmosphere and ammonia as a solvent. Generally within very cold temperatures. [Zomm]
Class L-Murky: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with a nitrogen atmosphere and hydrocarbons as a solvent. Generally within extremely cold temperatures. [Salvi]
Class L-Wasteland: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with an ammonia atmosphere and formamide as a solvent, Generally within hot temperatures. [?]
Class L-Thermal: Terrestrial, supports carbon-based life with a carbon dioxide atmosphere and sulfuric acid as a solvent. Generally within very hot temperatures. [?]
Class L-Aero: Gaseous, supports carbon-based life with an oxygen atmosphere and water as a solvent. Generally within average temperatures. [Alarian]
Class L-Drifter: Gaseous, supports carbon-based life with a hydrogen atmosphere and supercritical dihydrogen as a solvent. Generally within very cold to very hot temperatures. [?]
Class L-Jewel: Terrestrial, supports silicon-based life with a fluorine atmosphere and sulfuric acid as a solvent. Generally within very hot temperatures. [?]
Class L-Quartz: Terrestrial, supports silicon-based life with an oxygen atmosphere and sulfuric acid as a solvent. Generally within extremely hot temperatures. [?]
Class L-Frigid: Terrestrial, supports silicon-based life with liquid nitrogen as a solvent. Generally within extremely cold temperatures. [?]
Class L-Nitro: Terrestrial, supports nitrogen/phosphorus-based life with a nitrogen dioxide atmosphere and water as a solvent. Generally within average temperatures. [Mortala II]
Class L-Heater: Terrestrial, supports metal oxide-based life with molten salts as a solvent. Generally within massively heated temperatures. [?]

Class M: Rocky, has some significant traces of ice whether surface or underground. Incapable of supporting advanced life. [Luna]

Class N: Cold and rocky, possesses both ice and significant quantities of other frozen substances like nitrogen. [triton]

Class O: Surface is completely covered in water.
Class O-1: Orbits star closely, surface temperatures are extremely hot and water vapor is prevalent. May possess an unclear dividing line between air and liquid. [COROT-7b]
Class O-2: Surface is covered in a vast ocean of liquid water with few or no extreme anomalies. [Calla]
Class O-3: Entirely covered in solid ice, no liquid water whatsoever. [Mimas]
Class O-4: Surface is covered in a layer of ice, but another layer of liquid water exists below. [Europa]

Class P: Multiple planets, the barycenter is above the surface of all planets involved. [Pluto and Charon]

Class T: Terrestrial planet blanketed in a thick atmosphere of gases that give rise to a global cooling effect. Liquid methane exists on the surface. [Titan]

Class V: Terrestrial world with a thick atmosphere of greenhouse gases. Surface temperature is extremely hot. [Venus]

Class W: Rogue planet, drifts through space and does not orbit a star.
Class W-1: Maintains a noticeable level of heat primarily through geological activity.
Class W-2: Does not maintain a significant heat level and is very cold.

Class X: Orbits a pulsar, constantly bathed in immense levels of radiation. [Methuselah]

Class Y: Ecumenopolis. Fully one third or more of the planet is covered in a gigantic, sprawling metropolis. [Coruscant]

Class Z: Artificial space station so immense it's been rounded to compensate for gravitational forces. [Death Star]

These classes do not form a complete alphabet. If you (yes, you!) have an idea for any sort of planet, moon, or whatever that you think I left out on this list (including L Classes), feel free to post a well-thought-out suggestion for a missing letter and I'll make it official.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:28:47 pm by UFO King » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:59 am »

Class P: Multiple planets, the barycenter is above the surface of all planets involved. [Pluto and Charon]

*P from the prefix "Poly-", to open the possibility for systems more numerous than double planets.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »

Ooh, I love it!
Report Spam   Logged
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »

Maybe subclasses for rogue planets, ones that generate heat, and ones that do not?
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »

Alright, added that too. Good idea!
Report Spam   Logged
Oviraptor
Ovipositor
Global Moderator

tastes just like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »

This is great and all, but I feel like it would be easier to come up with a bunch of characteristics and then use those to combine to classify planets. For example, take atmosphere. You would have all the different types of atmosphere and those could apply to any type of planet (where applicable). So the basic forms of planet are Terrestrial and Gas Giant. Earth would be a Terrestrial planet with a Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere, whereas Jupiter would be a Gas Giant with a Hydrogen/Helium atmosphere. Obviously there are more categories then those two, but those should be enough to understand what I am saying.

If not, then, meh. I don't really care. If I was making a planet I wouldn't be using your chart until after I was finished with it, anyway. At which point, I would shoehorn my way in there trying to find which category it fit into best. And with your system, that could take a while. Just saying.

Anyway, best of luck to whatever you decide to do. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

This isn't supposed to be universal, just a general description. The idea is that you come up with the specific details, and this is your framework.
Report Spam   Logged
Oviraptor
Ovipositor
Global Moderator

tastes just like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:49:08 pm »

Ah, so this is more of an idea generator? In that case, carry on. I personally don't need something like this, I can understand how it could be useful to those who do.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum