the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 29, 2024, 01:53:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The end of an era...and a beginning?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of an era...and a beginning?  (Read 1413 times)
UFO King

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:02:58 am »

This whole three-year section of my life was a turbulent time for me. I matured as an artist and a storyteller, made friends, had fun. There were high points and low points. But the GSU has officially ended without a doubt. I first had my fears when Gec left, and then when we migrated to Kosmosis many didn't make the trip with us, having left already. The board flourished for a brief while, though slowly. But when Kitkat gave up on the bino, I realized that my beloved galaxy had come to an end. Yuu and Crazen are the only ones still going. It pains me greatly to see Yuu's undying optimism wasted on a graveyard, but this has come and gone.

It all started back in 2005, when Will Wright first announced his upcoming project, Spore. Until the game's release in 2008, many Internet communities emerged in an excited, creative wave of anticipation and speculation. The first RP in Gaming Steve was Prison Escape, which featured many races that became mainstays of the classical galaxy. Nauceans, torpals, oifan-umtag, baobas, necromonicon, yunimians... But this was only the first half. After the game's release, many were disappointed with its rather inadequate features. But the RP community kept on going strong. It was at this point that I arrived on the scene.

The perrachi were my first creations, and still my favorite. I can't say how many ideas I came up with for them, but it's a fact that at least 70% were never actually implemented, like the rest of the World War. In the post-Spore GSU, dozens of new (and short-lived) members came to the forum. A couple stayed and developed their creations. From the ulandians to the Nameless to komodiles, I'll always remember those days with fondness. It's a shame how many ideas were never fleshed out, but perhaps one day in the future we'll have moved on. Maybe evolved forms of them will appear in published works like books, films, and RPGs. Maybe there will be a naucean on the big screen in 2020.

But now scant few remain. I have recognized the obvious signs and made peace with myself. This forum's time has come and gone. It's sad but true; I've accepted that. To see Hydro occasionally kicking around his ancient stomping grounds seems almost senile in a strange way. I don't want to do that. If veterans of these past years of glory are willing to continue the universe in another medium, another incarnation, go ahead and contact me. I'm more than willing to do that. But I feel that the GSU's forum-based form has died. The optimist in me says that it's merely matured and developed, that it's anticipating in its cocoon, ready any moment to burst free in a different body. It's grown too sophisticated for the crude ways of a message board.

I sincerely hope that that's the truth. If so, we must make it happen ourselves, not just hang around a tomb and reminisce. Therefore a new, hopefully longer golden age could be kicked off, a mature and cultivated sci-fi story. But when speaking of the here and now, it's time to move on. It's been a wonderful time, but we've got to say goodbye. This stage, this level of evolution is at an end. I'll see you later somewhere if we continue instead of quit.

R. I. P.
Gaming Steve Universe Forum(s)
2005 - 2012

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:46:09 am by UFO King » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:05 am »

I just died a lot inside  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:11 am »

I wouldn't necessarily say that me and Crazen are the only ones left. Grox's time is better spent elsewhere right now due to certain circumstances, but he's pretty much still here. And Returnae does still pop up from time to time.

Anyways, you summed up the recent half-decade pretty accurately. And yeah, Hydro has been up to his necroing habits again.

Actually, I was kind of contemplating the same thing, that is the status of the community, or the loss thereof. Which is partially why I've been tossing up several ideas.

So far, I've been thinking what if we built a collaborative webcomic out of the universe? We could set up the drawing board on a forum, post the comic in a comic hosting site, attract folks from sci-fi sites we frequent, then build up from there. I mean, really, we might want to greatly tone down some of the more blatant parodies of other IPs, but even with all that stripped down, we could whip up even better replacements if we butt our heads together.

Another thing I've been thinking of is making a DeviantArt group, so we could unite the people that are already there, then let others open up their own accounts. We'd probably focus on art, honing those that need some catching up, or introducing people to mediums that they'd probably be more apt in. Still, there does exist a text category for deviations so lore and actual storytelling aren't totally out of the picture.

Or we could do both.

What say you guys?
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:29 am »

I'd say both.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Thats...Pretty much it. I knew it was over, really, I just really wanted to tell my big story before it died entirely. alright then. And its not a beginning, This is over. Though it really did help solidify my ideas into full-blown worlds. And for that I will say thanks.

So yea, if you where wondering (you werent, unless your Yuu), near the end of that RP you where going to discover that Niyames was the bad guy all along: he controlled Agnasi and Agnasi controlled Hnangha. and hopefully you would have figured this out in time through various clues, and ultimately you would deside their fates.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:09:51 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:48 am »

Niyames was the bad guy all along: he controlled Agnasi and Agnasi controlled Hnangha.

Pictured: My initial reaction.

Why did he lead a group of spec-ops into the one place where the ship could get killed? Did Hnangha go rogue on him?   Huh

Anyways, I'll try and set something up within the week.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Withp Returnae

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:12 am »

I think we should do both a webcomic and a dA group.

But, yeah, although this was a pretty awesome attempt to salvage the GSU, it was bound to fail. Its prominent, working members were reaching decline, and the only new members were short lived. I think it will take quite a push to save this.
Report Spam   Logged
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:09:10 am »

Then we'll push like we've never pushed before! (Wow, that sounded strange...) I'm not so sure about a webcomic unless it's really well-planned and we're serious about it, but a DA group sounds more convenient for the time being. I think coming up with a multifaceted, solidified, well-thought-out story is what this 'verse needs. Instead of random stories all over the place, we should establish a real plotline that actually focuses on characters and is planned out. I'm thinking not so much Firefly or Mass Effect (don't even think about 3's ending!), but rather a few different plots that eventually merge in some fashion. Like, maybe we've got a mep and an ilyarra forming a resistance group within the Yerxic Star Empire, and meanwhile some sombreron is trying to find out what happened to the nauceans on Beyon, then there's some USSS-type guys struggling with racial tensions in goonal space.

Shame about crazen. You shall be well-remembered.

Oh, and speaking of planning, we'll probably need another canon overhaul - only this time without the endless paperwork of shifting through archives. I'm thinking an actual overhaul, as in a new "incarnation". One that simplifies stuff, and reworks a lot of ill-thought-out concepts. We need more realistic relationships - it seems that previously, either two groups were super-friendly or they were at war. We need stuff like racism and controversy, things that reflect the depth and complexity of societies. Plot holes must be removed! I want to emphasize that I really love this universe, it's just that I believe it needs a better medium than a forum.

That is, of course, if you're all up for it...
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:04:23 am »

Yeah, I guess I DA group would be better for now. It'd also help make the foundations of the webcomic.

Shame I really didn't manage to show any of the underlying complexity and tension within the Local Sector, as well as the nations themselves. Also, it does seem to be time for a detailed overhaul of most of my tech trees.
Report Spam   Logged

Withp Returnae

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:35:06 am »

Yeah, I guess I DA group would be better for now. It'd also help make the foundations of the webcomic.

Agreed to the maximum

But you guys need to get me to the space age  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:56 am »

Agreed to the maximum

But you guys need to get me to the space age  Embarrassed

No need to.

Since this is an overhaul, you might as well make them spacefaring from the get-go if you like. That, or you could say someone contacted and boosted you to the space age.
Report Spam   Logged

Withp Returnae

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »

I know, but Ive put a lot into their industrial culture, plus a contact RP with a primitive race could be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:39 pm »

Why the " Embarrassed" then?

Nothing really embarrassing about first contact.
Report Spam   Logged

UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:14:32 am »

Withp, there will be no Contact RP. The whole point is that we're moving away from a forum.

So who's making the DA group? We need to get some foundations here.

Say, has anyone here ever heard of the Humanx Commonwealth?
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

Ah, the Humanx, interesting piece of work that.

Say, I don't know much about it other than the surface details, did they manage to make hybrids of the two species?

As for the DA group, I'm up for it and was actually going to make it after tomorrow. Last day of clinical training tomorrow, y'see, so after that it's pretty much smooth sailing.

But if there's anyone that's actually particularly skilled at the DA Group's customization and general interface, be my guest.   Smiley

EDIT:

Less than 24 hours to go...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:34:58 pm by Yuu » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum