the Kosmosis Chronicles
April 20, 2024, 08:30:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Blood and Rust

Poll
Question: Uneni?
Snake - 2 (66.7%)
worm - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood and Rust  (Read 4982 times)
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 08:41:58 pm »

Narrrrrgh...

Fine.

I hear the best sandwiches come from Extra.
Then again, they say the best of everything comes from Extra, because most folks don't frequent it.

I didn't know Yuu were in the medical field.

I also suppose GG isn't doing so well from all that homework. Honestly... In the USA, the education system is just terrible. Funding is getting cut left and right, tests that do nothing but serve as platters for regurgitated information are commonplace, and homework rules over all. Why even have homework? It doesn't do anything but stress the students and make them lose sleep. Why have it if it means most of your free time is supposed to be for sleeping, so if you dare to exercise your right to have fun you're sacrificing sleep? It literally even diminishes test scores rather than raise them. Seriously.

Poor blighters.

Ah, forgive me. A man and his soapbox, ranting for the generation.

Where exactly has Hnangha gone, and how long has everyone known about it?
Report Spam   Logged
GalacticWeirdo
The All-Moderating
Administrator

The Weirdest in the Galaxy!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »

I bet you really hate Star Wars.
Report Spam   Logged

"Well, if you're outright admitting that your position is a religious ideology, then it's impossible for me to engage with you in a reasoned debate about it and I should just walk away."
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »

I bet you really hate Star Wars.
No, I wear a very large nostalgia hat for that.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 10:41:33 pm »

right, started the thread. if you wanna make any interpersonal chat or character defining, do so now, before they get attacked by stupid hungry lizards.
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:23 am »

Um, you forgot a capital B. Other than that, everything looks just great. I'll post now.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

Tying up some loose ens as of now.

Will post later.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »

hey Nec, if your going to join, do so. then i'm gonna get this going

The same wombship which, if the premise's summary is to go by, also happens to be ridiculously resistant to our nuke-toting space navies.

so besides the fact that it sheilds itself in a layer of flying mooks, flies away like a nancyboy whenever you bring out the big guns ,and that its just really big, the other reason you cant just blow up Hnangha, Niyames tells you, is that it would not stop the Iavolg. this mean you would still lose all the worlds they have attacked but not destroyed. (because, as I have tried to established, the main difficulty of fighting Iavolg is that once they have dug in, they are impossible to remove)

which is why he needs to get to the core of Hnangha. from there, he belives he could overide its directives.
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 10:05:52 am »

So, let me put it in bullet form, including what I think are the rationale for it:

• Swarm of Buffer Ships - while all of us were intermittently fighting wars and experiencing peace time, all it was doing was build more forces.
  • Hit and Run Tactics - the ship is... big. Thus, it's FTL-drive is also most likely... big.
  • Swatting Interceptors - it might as well be a mobile fortress world, given its apparent size. (How big is it, though, really? I've kinda forgotten by now.) Thus, anything that is a dedicated scout will most likely be easily destroyed.
  • Impossible to Remove - unless you remove the entire crust along with them. (Wouldn't grey goo or a bio-weapon work, though? Curious.)

Did I get it right?
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 11:12:50 am »

-yup. plus you dont need a very advanced ship if it's sole purpose is getting shot. quick production time. also. low power cost, because they just drift in orbit most of the time.

-yes. nothing to say to that one.

-that, or the swarm of ships, again. and I never said it's exact size. If I used exact size, people would either say "thats too big" or "hey, I have five billion ships ten times bigger than that. you suck"

-oh, bio weapons would totaly work, if you don't mind poisoning your planet while they dig deeper. and you can't just make a weapon that would only kill Iavolg. see, Hnangha (man, I keep saying Hnangha. I got to find something for Agnasi to do) modifies the Iavolg for every planet they go to, so they can survive its environment. they essentialy become native, so anything that would hurt them would also hurt the local life.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:20:14 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

Raz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:41 pm »

"so anything that would hurt them would also hurt the local life."

You realize how incorrect that statement is? Dogs can catch diseases that humans can't. Chimpanzees can catch diseases that humans can't, and we're practically cousins. The whole "you can't make a weapon that would only kill Iavolg" is just wrong. If anything, it would be very easy, no matter how "naturalized" they are. They're still very genetically and physiologically different from the local life, even if they can live without suits or other such things on the planet.
Report Spam   Logged

Bard

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »

(first i'd like to say the Iavolg are themselves carrying about 40 dozen horrible, deadly viruses of various origin. they are a bioweapon)

I was talking about poison and pesticide. The point I should have gone with was: When have you heard of a river or cloud of chemicals that didn't horribly ruin the local ecosystem?

I think I came at it from the wrong angle though, and ended up really dumb. although...those rules apply in reverse, you know. any virus that effects your life wont hurt Iavolg then. and one that does kill an Iavolg wont kill any other Iavolg from any other planet. or all the ones on that planet, as Agnasi (there is something he can do) has no reason to only make one variety per planet. Not when he could make, say, twenty.

so I guess it could work perfectly, you just need about 800 different death plagues, each capable of killing the billions of Iavolg in each strain, and their eggs, in less than 120 hours, and somehow also kill all the machines that can artificialy reproduce them.

and thats all after you hypothetical just blew up Hnangha. with him still around, all of this is moot. Agnasi can pump out variations of Iavolg faster than you can develope a totaly infalliable bioweapon to kill them. and he'll never run out because your the ones providing the resources to make them.

It has been operation for a century and been attacked in a hundred different ways. You cant fight its plague with plagues

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:32:13 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

Raz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

Poisons and pesticides are chemical weapons, not biological weapons. And I'm pretty sure you only need one good bio-weapon. Just because there might be different strains/subspecies, doesn't mean that what kills an African man won't kill a Caucasian man. Ultimately, they still share genetics and physiology.

Carrying 40 dozen different viruses seems like a very, very bad idea to me. All it might take is one mutation to make any one of those 480 viruses start targeting Iavolg.

But my personal weapon of choice against Hnangha is a black hole generator. Can't exactly escape that, when suddenly the planet you were on is sucked into a black hole created at its core, along with the rest of the Iavolg and Hnangha itself.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Bard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »

They do not ultimately share the same genetics and physiology.

They dont even use genetics. maybe the larentili did, but either way the system of passing traits was replaced with self-replicating machines and computers. computers don't exactly mutate.

Moataia made the viruses. they are also self replicating machines and computers..

and black hole gun, Jesus Christ.  see, thats why I allways hated RP'n on GS. stuff like that. there is a reason Yuu allways went for the biggest things possible: because everyone else was too. though, i'm pretty sure everyone agrees that there are no black hole generators in this universe. at least none that can be used. (Agnasi could be called a literal "god out of the machine", though)

btw, I hope your not taking this the wrong way. I'm a debater. I live for this. it's helping me really think things all the way through.

Iavolg isn't a single species. its the Larentili word for impotence. (yes, that kind of impotence)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:55:41 pm by Bard » Report Spam   Logged

Raz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

Viruses =/= self replicating machines.

Well, with the way you're putting stuff, black hole seems to be the primary option to kill the thing.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »

If we're feeling desperate enough, we could sacrifice the Talsenreave and use it to ram the ship. And it's even bug enough to be fitted with a crazy huge FTL drive.

Of course, seeing as we could just kill it from the inside, we probably don't need to resort to that.

For the record, though, blackholes and really big stars could easily kill a starship if the ship gets harassed by information overload first. The ships are based on the size of the Universal Administrators, which are in turn that large since they're not necessarily from this universe. It also has the effect of increasing space for computational hardware, something which you really, really need to do for the kind of data processing they require for long-distance travel. Sure, you can compress it, some people do, but that usually doesn't end well when one of the compressed computer complexes go boom, and most people really consider that feeding a blackhole in order to generate power is already enough of a risk.

Anyways, I really forgot the size of the mothership, can anyone remind me?

In any case, maybe we could say that Iavolg are fast-evolving fast-growing extremophiles? Basically, kinda like WH40k orks, but with the microscopic strains being on the same level of resilience as waterbears?

Iavolg isn't a single species. its the Larentili word for impotence. (yes, that kind of impotence)

Too much information! D:

How do you get the inspiration for this stuff?

PS. Really sorry for not posting in the RP yet, the moment I returned I was so exhausted I really didn't have the brainpower to RP anymore, and when I woke up just recently, I'm actually about to go off to class again. Will try to post later.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum