the Kosmosis Chronicles
March 29, 2024, 03:27:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Blood and Rust

Poll
Question: Uneni?
Snake - 2 (66.7%)
worm - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood and Rust  (Read 4896 times)
SimplyNecro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »

I want to join, but I'm camping with the family so its kind of hard for me to get a computer until the end  of the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:30:49 pm by SimplyNecro » Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »

I'm in.

Name: Lieutenant Ke'ras
Species: Photos
Appearance: Tall and Muscular. All that is expected of the Xylanis Opairis.
Equipment: As an Opairis, he has their heavier armor as well as an impulse blade and a Gyro Pistol, as well as as many grenades as he could carry in coordination with his spare munitions. Perfect for boarding actions.
Bio: Ke'ras was rather uninteresting before joining the armed forces. Upon initial examination he was found to be compatible with the virus used to create the stronger and more resilient Opairis. He was shipped off to a training facility and learned quickly, and before long he was a Lieutenant leading a squad. He was the one chosen for the current mission due to his stout resolve, something that's gotten him out of more than one bad situation.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »

right then. we'll start monday.
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 04:17:18 pm »

Okay... Jesus Christ, Yuu, you really like those colossal defensive walls of text, don't you? Constantinople and China should feel humbled. Not that your points weren't valid in any way (because they totally were), but when you get defensive you get really defensive.

Hey Grox, what's a "Gyro Pistol"? Is that Photos military slang for a handheld railgun?
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

Gyro-weapons are Photos ballistic weapons that are on a hand-held scale. They function on the Gyrojet principle in that a projectile, rather than being propelled by an explosion in the chamber of the weapon, is self-propelled; in the real versions of the weapons they had two thrust ports that spun the rocket as it flew; in any case the projectile is gyroscopicly stabilized (I misspelled Gyro as Jyro >.<), and the rounds explode; in real life, this didn't really have any more stopping or penetrating power than a regular bullet but they were marginally more expensive and the later model firearms had a barrel defect that caused their normally-high accuracy to severely drop, to the point that it was almost impossible to hit anything with them. As such the project was dropped and it faded into obscurity. In almost all instances they're caseless, but some weapons (Such as the Bolter/Boltgun from Warhammer 40k) use a standard explosive charge to propel the shell out of the barrel before the engines kick on; in reality this would be rather stupid because
A)The explosion of the cartridge would likely destroy the engines and simply have the round travel as a needlessly heavy shell that wouldn't go more than a probable few feet.
B)The rounds accelerate as they travel under power meaning you'd want the engines on as long as possible to build up velocity; the force of the expulsion, then the engines kicking on would likely make it hard to gauge the starting velocity of the round and make leading a moving target very difficult.
All Photos ballistic weapons are used under the Gyrojet principle, be it an autocannon, an artillery gun, or a handheld weapon. The Gyroweapons used by the Photos infantry are usually large bore and high-yield to actually be competitive with their ubiquitous plasma weaponry. The weapon in this case, the Gyropistol, is about 15mm in bore; it's big. That's why most handheld gyro weapons are in Opairis control, sense they're bigger, stronger, and overall just able to make best use of the weapons.
In comparison to your standard plasma pistol, a Gyropistol provides around the same armor penetration ability but much greater stopping power due to the fact that the round explodes rather than just penetrating. Against a human size target one well-placed shot to the abdominal or chest area would be sufficient to kill; the explosion would likely rip you open and rupture most of your organs in the general vicinity, if not outright destroy them. The entire function is one-shot-kill. Against a larger creature, again, a well placed shot would suffice. face or chest vicinity is going to at least incapacitate it for the soldier to either fire again or kill it with a melee weapon.
Sorry for the brick of text but I'm bored out of my mind with nothing better to do >.>
Report Spam   Logged
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:11 pm »

Sounds nice. You really like your military sci-fi, don't you? But I was under the impression that both a gyrojet and a plasma gun would be explosive: ordinary plasma merely dissipates in the air (and in space), and a gun firing it like that would be about as useful as a steam gun for the same reasons. So I thought that a plasma gun fires metal bullets containing plasma that explode on impact, and a bolt is Photos military sland for a bullet/shell/slug/whatever. But even if you had a magical technology that somehow contained a sphere of plasma and sustained the field at a distance, the enemy could easily reverse-engineer that tech (or invent it) and create shields of the same stuff that contains the plasma, thus rendering it useless as a weapon.
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »

I'm aware of the fact that, in reality, plasma would make a very bad weapons system, but humor me. Plasma weapons have been used for a long time (if I remember correctly even Nauceans used plasma weaponry at some point), so give me the benefit of the doubt here.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 02:17:06 am »

Okay... Jesus Christ, Yuu, you really like those colossal defensive walls of text, don't you?

I kinda prefer star forts more, but yeah, I kinda like the Great Wall as well.
Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 02:29:37 am »

I'm aware of the fact that, in reality, plasma would make a very bad weapons system, but humor me. Plasma weapons have been used for a long time (if I remember correctly even Nauceans used plasma weaponry at some point), so give me the benefit of the doubt here.
I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for you with the bolt explanation! It requires zero retconning! Come on, show a little respect for science!
Report Spam   Logged
Badger Man 22

Your body loves you

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 02:37:16 am »

Its made of magitanium alloys.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
GroxGlitch

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:33 am »

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for you with the bolt explanation! It requires zero retconning! Come on, show a little respect for science!
Show a little respect for science?
Show a little respect for science?!?
Do you have any idea how offensive that statement is?
Sense I've started doing this, I've gone out of my way to make the stuff I create scientifically plausible, if anything just to keep people from filling the thread with moaning and complaining.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, big and bolt:
THIS IS SCIENCE FICTION.
You're sitting here making a big deal over something that, really, has little impact on the story at all. I do this for the RPing, that's the part I enjoy. On top of that, you're back to pushing the scientifically accurate thing again, which if I remember correctly, you said you weren't going to do.
Your idea of Sci-fi happens to be more Science and less Fiction, apparently. Mine's more Fiction and less Science, so back off.
Report Spam   Logged
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

Woah...

Though, yeah, Grox has a point.

Gyro-rounds and encapsulated plasma may not be the best things for ammunition, but really, worse have happened in real life, like when the glint of sniper scopes actively helped Marshmallow take down counter-snipers specifically assigned to eliminate him during the Winter War. You'd think that the use of glint as a form of communication, or just simply looking at a mirror on a sunny day, would have clued the military planners into that glaring flaw of a sniper bait.

That, or the Bradley. Heck, the Pentagon in general.

Anyways, if there's anything to criticize here, it's the giant Stephen King-esque biological wombship that eats planets by covering them in what amounts as magical crust-melting Zerg Creep and then sucking the resulting solution via ridiculously long umbilical cord. The same wombship which, if the premise's summary is to go by, also happens to be ridiculously resistant to our nuke-toting space navies.

That, or the purple cartoonishly drawn parrots.

But no. We're not here to nitpick that much, cause this isn't a peer review.

We're here to roleplay a science fiction universe, which pretty much necessitates some portion of acceptable breaks from reality.

Because if this was an honest-to-goodness realistic scenario, everyone in Beyon that isn't either a robot or a Sombreron would need a pressure suit and scrubber system just to go out, for starters.

Then there's those nasty micro-pathogens that'll ensure die-outs every time an unplanned, and thus most likely not NASA-level sterilized, first-contact happens.

Most rich people wouldn't need to go to school since they can just buy databooks and copy it into their cybernetically augmented brains.

There will be insane levels of unemployment, and riots, since robots will essentially take over all sectors of work that don't necessarily need intellectual property creation or the "human touch."

Most of the army will just be robots. Most of the space-navy will just be robot ships, and one or two human vessels sitting far from the war and is only there for supervision and authorization purposes.

Everyone who has a good VR system is too busy being addicted to their hedonistic VR sessions to do anything meaningful in real life.

And so on.

So, umm... yeah.

Sorry if I sounded mad, I'm not.   Smiley

That, and I just like to type in walls of text because I like to reply to everything.   Tongue
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:24:45 am by Yuu » Report Spam   Logged

"That bastard is watching that **** playing with a ****" should actually be a perfectly polite sentence to describe a child watching a dog play with some sticks. But it's not, because they somehow became offensive.
UFO King

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 04:55:01 pm »

I'm not so sure most people would be totally sucked into VR. After all, what portion of people who go on the Internet are completely obsessed with it? And why make robots for every single part of work when some people actually enjoy those jobs and would riot anyway? You're making the same mistakes as those early 20th century futurists. Some people will still want to actually have a job (like the military), and robots won't take over if the government has a scrap of common sense. (Alas, poor quarians)

GroxGlitch...
The key word...
Is SCIENCE!!
SCIENCE FICTION!!!
When people write military fiction, do they completely ignore tactics and strategies? NO!
When people write detective fiction, do they entirely disregard the rules and regulations of police departments? NO!
So why the hell shouldn't science fiction writers pay attention to science? And if they don't, why call it science fiction?

And Yuu is criticizing the Perrachi for being cartoonishly drawn? What, like I can immediately switch styles? And I know they're basically oversized parrots (albeit with three beaks and blue blood), but I was young. What do you want me to do - retcon them out of existence? This isn't some gun you can fix by adding in one tiny little detail, it's a species!

You just can't ignore some of the details like that! It's like if you wrote a historical fiction book about the Revolutionary War, but George Washington wore a gigantic pineapple instead of a hat! It's like if the military actually experimented with shooting people out of cannons! It's ridiculous!

If you haven't made specific precautions against something by writing in extra laws of physics (like a warp drive), then it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Only the most obscure or seriously obstacle-like things should be ignored, but this ins't one of them. Plasma is the most common state of matter in the universe!

I don't want to leave. Really, I don't. Over a little thing that GG could have fixed merely by saying "Oh by the way, bolt is slang for a shell of exploding plasma"? No! That would be pathetic! I would be abandoning years of hard work in which I've strived my hardest to make this one of the best works of science fiction on the internet! But none of you are making this any better at the moment! It seems like I labor for hours, then get it all rejected! I think up the most plausible explanations for it all and easy ways out for inconsistencies, gaping flaws that can be patched up with one well-thought-out little detail! And then you all reject it over some trumped-up excuse! It does not require that much effort! I'm doing the hard work for you, goddammit!

So if you want to take the Star Wars/Trek route and be unable to write a few pages without either completely violating the laws of physics or becoming riddled with more plot holes than Al Capone's swiss cheese, be my guests. I sure as hell won't stick around.
Report Spam   Logged
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »

just for the record, the graid did begin as arthropods. I'm constantly changing everything about them. now they are far more resemble mamals, specificaly Synapsids. also, their technology never bent the laws of physics at all, unlike every other spacefaring race we have made.  

so guys, lets just agree that whatever the gun does it follows the rules of science and stuff and not get ragey about it so we can have a good time and delicious sandwiches (I may be hoping for too much with the sandwiches)

oh, and yuu, Hnangha is not really biological. while it does have some living components in him, it is still 97% metal and inorganic.
Report Spam   Logged

But that's another story for another time...
Yuu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »

I'm not so sure most people would be totally sucked into VR. After all, what portion of people who go on the Internet are completely obsessed with it?

How many people are addicted to drugs? What if those drugs allow people to be as gods?

That's the level of temptation we're talking about here.

Some people will still want to actually have a job (like the military),

Did I say everyone will lose their jobs? I said a lot of people, not everyone.

Also, if a civilization truly loves their soldiers, they'll use all of their technology to keep them from harm's way, diehards be damned.

That, and an organic can't possibly hope to top a true combat android.

Keith Laumer had it right with his Bolo series that organics are really only better in terms of unpredictability, and in more primitive cases, moral decision making.

and robots won't take over if the government has a scrap of common sense.

Who said take over?

More like automate everything that can be reasonably automated without losing any of its "flavor."

"People" jobs like nurses, doctors, psychologists, singers, actors, and so on will still be there in the same way actors and playwrights weren't laid off during the Industrial Revolution.

While I can still see some companies hiring actual people for less people-oriented jobs to give it a "human touch," the majority of penny pinching companies will lay people off in exchange for an army worker droids and a dozen or so maintenance mechanics.

GroxGlitch...
The key word...
Is SCIENCE!!
SCIENCE FICTION!!!
When people write military fiction, do they completely ignore tactics and strategies? NO!
When people write detective fiction, do they entirely disregard the rules and regulations of police departments? NO!
So why the hell shouldn't science fiction writers pay attention to science? And if they don't, why call it science fiction?

The key word is both SCIENCE and FICTION.

When people write science fiction do they follow realworld tactics to the letter? NO!

When people write detective fiction, do they strictly follow the rules and regulations of police departments? NO!

So why the hell shouldn't science fiction writers have some leeway? And if they don't, why call it fiction?

Look, I'm in the medical field but you don't see me pulling a fit against Doctor House, the  film-version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, that one time a Photos nurse-bot gave one of Grox's characters an injection incorrectly, or every single damn time a purportedly medical franchise uses a defibrillator on a flatline person.

That last one is simply grating to me, but I accept it because it's fictional.

Grox here honestly stated that he accepts gyro rounds and real life plasma suck as projectiles, and if anything, it's not a flaw in physics as it is in in-universe military planning.

If you're really adamant about it, use it as a literary device, showing that only the Perrachi know better to avoid using plasma weapons.

And Yuu is criticizing the Perrachi for being cartoonishly drawn? What, like I can immediately switch styles? And I know they're basically oversized parrots (albeit with three beaks and blue blood), but I was young. What do you want me to do - retcon them out of existence?

It was a joke.

I thought the purple parrot gags back in the forum woudl have clued everyone into that.

You can't possibly think that I really consider real life Perrachi to be cel-shaded purple parrots with cartoony eyes and wing-fingers, yes?

Regardless, sorry if the joke didn't come across.

You just can't ignore some of the details like that! It's like if you wrote a historical fiction book about the Revolutionary War, but George Washington wore a gigantic pineapple instead of a hat! It's like if the military actually experimented with shooting people out of cannons! It's ridiculous!

Then I hereby decree that all space fighters be retconned away, because honestly, they're impractical.

Also, mechs, because they're really only useful in giant stair worlds, and even then you could just use a plane or hover platform instead.

Same goes for live-crewed "frontline" ships, because lodging, training, artificial gravity, inertial dampeners and life-support costs money, which could otherwise be used to build more ships. Not to mention that keeping fleshbags in your combat ships is utterly pointless when a space-era supercomputer can do things better, relegating live intervention to stuff like command ships which perform supervision and on-the-spot moral decision making.

This isn't some gun you can fix by adding in one tiny little detail, it's a species!

Half the galaxy uses plasma guns.

That's an entire line of weapons being retconned, from stuff as small as pistols to things as big as BB main guns.

Also, personally, my creatures use plasma projectiles because it removes the need for solid ammunition. Admittedly, I can just resort to laser rifles, but honestly, that just isn't how those guys roll, something which should have been obvious the moment they started fielding transforming space fighters, and in one particular race, allows their head of government to be the first to charge into battle.

So if you want to take the Star Wars/Trek route and be unable to write a few pages without either completely violating the laws of physics or becoming riddled with more plot holes than Al Capone's swiss cheese, be my guests. I sure as hell won't stick around.

No need to ragequit like that.

I learned that the hard way in three forums, I sure as heck don't want you to experience it as well.

If you haven't made specific precautions against something by writing in extra laws of physics (like a warp drive), then it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Only the most obscure or seriously obstacle-like things should be ignored, but this ins't one of them. Plasma is the most common state of matter in the universe!

Let me make it simple.

The GSU is an entire universe made out of sore thumbs.

Now, as for Kosmosis, you may have a point. Why don't we bring this into the Galactic Encyclopedia section so we could, as a community, discuss and ratify a constitution regarding just exactly how soft or hard this universe is, hopefully it'll include discussion on whether we should handwave the whole atmosphere compatibility thing, which still pisses me off but have to accept because I love you guys.

As it stands, it's just two parties arguing over opposing sides without any vox populi to back them up. This will not stop until the people have decided on what to really settle down with.   Undecided

So, whaddya say? Shall we continue this discussion in the suggestions section?   Smiley

And then you all reject it over some trumped-up excuse! It does not require that much effort! I'm doing the hard work for you, goddammit!

Let me put it bluntly.

It's NOT A FREAKING EXCUSE.

We do it ON PURPOSE, because WHAT THE HELL WE LIKE IT THIS WAY.

You can't persecute us for our literary preferences, however it may suck in your opinion.

Realizing that Grox is still just in his first year of highschool would probably also help. Have you considered that he may just be near to the snapping point as you are? Not everyone is as talented at this stuff as you and it's perfectly possible that people would build up negativity every time their technologies get nitpicked, regardless of how nice and understanding they are.

Basically, Grox is human too.

The best approach would be to try and convince us regarding these technical stuff, and if it fails, bring it to the attention of the forum council.

Point is, don't let yourself fall into the same rage-pit I found myself into. Look what it did to me. I don't want that to happen to you, UFO, you're honestly a pretty swell person and I don't want to see someone like that fall.

I advise that you take a break in the brainstorming sessions for a while, it's a really major stressor I can attest to that. If it helps, I'll start the discussion thread in the Galactic Encyclopedia while you rest for the moment, I'll probably begin with this plasma issue.   Smiley

delicious sandwiches (I may be hoping for too much with the sandwiches)

We could always get a sandwich in Shudariadne or in the Vara ORealyianis if anyone minds.

I'm sure there are specialty stores in Perrawiih and Photise as well, not to mention Beyon, that place has everything.

oh, and yuu, Hnangha is not really biological. while it does have some living components in him, it is still 97% metal and inorganic.

Oh, okay, my bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum